Wednesday 21 March 2012

Focus Group Responses - Mock Ups

I firstly showed them my mock up poster and gathered the following responses:


Female, student, age 15 ‘I like the concept of them facing away and being tied up on the chairs, with the villain looking towards us. It could be very effective – however I think the image needs to be bigger to gain more focus.’
Female, student, age 18‘The idea is good. I think the man in the mask should be quite big in comparison to the two that are tied up to make him look more domineering and scary.’
Female, media student, age 22‘The image is quite frightening, looks very creative and matches most of the conventions I’d expect to see on a film poster, and says horror to me instantly. The font really needs to be chosen correctly to create even more of a sense of horror.’
Female, journalist, age 25‘I think your choice of image will be really good. An idea I would suggest is to have the masked man almost appearing out of the darkness with the couple in a brighter light as this could make the masked man look even more of a threat. Overall, I really like the idea.’
Male, advertising student, age 21‘The poster definitely says horror to me. The idea of the mask is great – it’s a classic horror element and creates fear instantly. The poster could do with a little bit more going on, as it looks quite simple at the minute.’
Male, student, age 19‘I like the mock up, and I think with the right colours, sizing and lighting it will look really good when completed. Very scary!’


I then showed them my mock up magazine cover:

Female, student, age 17‘Could look really effective with the right effects and text. I think the background should be really dark and the mask would look great with some shadowing detail.’
Female, student, age 18‘Looks quite similar to most film magazines I’ve seen, the conventions are similar. Maybe needs a bit more going on around the image, for instance more text linking to more things going on inside the magazine.’
Female, media student, age 22‘Laid out professionally, but I think it might come to look a bit plain when you actually create it. I think it could do with some more text, maybe even just one small story around the outside to make it slightly busier and more interesting. In terms of fonts, you need to select the right ones to make it look as close as possible to a film magazine.’
Female, journalist, age 25‘I like the idea of it being just the mask, with the ‘behind the mask’ text. This will definitely intrigue the reader as they will want to know more about the actor in the mask, even just what he looks like. I think it could also maybe look good with a long shot of the actor in the mask, in the outfit he wears in the film, perhaps holding a knife or something?’
Male, advertising student, age 21‘Bit plain. Could do with a few more bits of text perhaps. I think when it’s put together with all the colours and conventions it’ll look good.
Male, student, age 19‘I like the idea of the head and shoulder shot, as it’s not something you see all the time on film magazines. But at the same time this could make it a bit harder to distinguish that it’s a film magazine. As long as you stick to the conventions seen on current magazines I think it will work well.’

No comments:

Post a Comment